Monday, October 2, 2023

Sharks Contributor Offers Insight on Team's Future

I had the pleasure of speaking online with a Sharks content contributor at San Jose Hockey Now and the host of the Locked on Sharks podcast network, J.D. Young. 

I have been a follower of J.D. for quite some time now, following him on both Twitter and YouTube for several years. I was fortunate enough to ask him a few questions because, well, I need answers. And someone who has contributed to this passion for as long as J.D. has, there was no better person to go to.

J.D.'s responses may, or may not have, contributed to a hole in my wall.

1. Could you share the story of how your Sharks fandom came to be? 

I actually grew up a Flyers fan because of my mom. Eric Lindros was my favorite player growing up. We moved to the Bay Area when I was in high school and finally got to attend a hockey game. I was hooked. This was right around the lockout, and when I saw Marleau and Thornton play together, I became a fan.


2. Looking ahead, when do you foresee the Sharks not only making the playoffs but also being strong contenders for the Stanley Cup? Additionally, which current players do you believe will still be with the team during that period? 

The timeline to become a fun, frisky team that just misses the playoffs is probably three seasons, the 2025-26 season. Will Smith, William Eklund, plus the 2020 draft class will all be established by then. To be legitimate contenders, the 2027-28 season is realistically when they should be completely out of their rebuild and contending again. As for players who are on the roster (established NHLers), Ferraro and Hertl are the ones to go with. While Hertl could be a trade candidate at some point, he would be an awesome third-line center and be well-rewarded for having to help bring the team back from the basement. 


3. There’s been speculation about Logan Couture’s future. In your opinion, do you see him potentially being traded, or finishing his career with the Sharks? 

While I don't think Couture will be traded anytime soon, he does go before his contract finishes. With four years left on his deal, the Sharks could be exiting the rebuild by then, but won't be ready to compete for a championship. This feels like a Brent Burns situation where Couture is sent to a contender to try and win a Cup before he retires as a Shark. But it's closer to the end of his contract than now. With the salary cap finally going up, it should be easier to move him in a few seasons if he can maintain his level of play.


4. William Eklund has generated a lot of excitement for Sharks fans. Do you believe he has the potential to be a great player for the Sharks in the long term, or have you grown skeptical?

I think Eklund will be a special player for the Sharks for a long time. Grier purposely kept him in the AHL last year, and Eklund will be better for it in the long run as he continues to round out his game. We've seen flashes of Eklund doing special things, and he is just scratching the surface of what type of player he can be. 

I think we'll all be looking forward to seeing how these questions continue to play out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharks Win Macklin Celebrini

Remember a few months when I preached about manifesting the number one overall pick? I actually don't care. Because I do. The San Jose S...